7.24.2008

Four Foods on Friday

If you're not playing , click the icon to start! :)

#1. When you need to serve desserts, do you buy them or make them?
I ask Aunt Kathy, Dad, Mom2, or Jeff to make them. I am only good at pies and tarts. I stink at making cakes. :P
#2. When baking do you use butter, margarine or something else?
When baking (i.e.- cookies, cakes, pies) I use real butter. In everyday cooking I use Smart Balance.
#3. What meats or veggies do you cook in the oven?
I like to roast small chickens (3-5 lbs.) with potatoes and carrots and looooots of garlic. :)
#4. Share a recipe for anything that is cooked in an oven.
Here's the newest recipe over in Sarafina's Kitchen:

Comforting Broccoli Casserole

From: Taste of Home, October/Novemeber 2006 issue

Notes: I used all chopped broccoli instead of using any broccoli cuts.

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; fold in broccoli. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Cover and bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings. Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, another Smart Balance user! With a recipe like that I might actually eat more broccoli! :)

Anonymous said...

Anyone know what I could substitute for the swiss? I don't like swiss.
Thanks for playing FFOF.
STumbled.

DeeBee said...

I love broccoli and haven't seen a recipe like this one. Sounds great!

Sarafina1977 said...

Val - you could use mozzarella or monterrey jack. I think any cheese would be good. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Smart Balance. I need to find some and use it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just snagged that recipe from your site the other day!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to save this my husband loves broccoli dishes and I'm always stumped at different ways to do things with it so it's not always same old, same old.

Anonymous said...

Your recipe does sound comforting! :)