2.28.2008

4 Foods Friday



Four Foods Friday time again. This is really becoming a highlight to my week. :)

#1. Do you ever use scissors to cut any foods? Which? Raw or cooked?
I love my kitchen shears. I use them to cut up cooked spaghetti before putting it into casseroles, I use them to cut up raw chicken if I need bite-sized pieces, and I use them most often to snip chives from my garden.
#2. Popcorn. Homemade, microwave, bagged, hot, cold. How do you like it?
I used to only make microwave, but since I found out how easy it is to do on the stove, I do it that way now so I can flavor it anyway I want. This is my favorite way, even though I make it on the stove like in my second fave.
#3. Sushi. Love it or hate it?
The jury is still out. I love seafood, but I can't get past the texture of the seaweed and the cold rice. I think if I tried more sushi without some of the textures I can't get past, I would like it.
#4. Share a dessert recipe.
I love tarts. They are my favorite thing to make. They are a little bit fancy, and the serving sizes aren't huge.

Apple and Almond Custard Tart
from Everyday Food, December 2007

for the crust:
3/4 c all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 t baking powder
6 T (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2c sugar
1 large egg
1/2 t pure almond extract

for the filling:
4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 t finely grated lemon zest and 1 T fresh lemon juice (from one lemon)
3 T all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 c heavy cream
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/3 c sliced blanched almonds

1) Make the crust: In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; beat until combined. With mixer on low, add flour mixture; mix just until combined.

2)Using an offset spatula or table knife, spread dough in a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan, evenly covering bottom and sides. Freeze for 20 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350, and make filling: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/4 c sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and lemon zest; mix until combined. With mixer on low, add flour and then cream; mix just until smooth (do not overmix). Set aside.

4) In a medium bowl, toss apple with lemon juice; arrange evenly in tart pan over chilled dough. Spread filling over apple; sprinkle with almonds and remaining 1/4 c sugar. Place tar pan on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden and set, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarafina,

A Wondermill is a small kitchen appliance. It's a meal that I grind wheat berries in to make wheat flour as well as grind popcorn to make cornmeal (no... it doesn't pop in the oven. lol I've had people ask me that).

Thanks for stopping by mine! Your dessert sounds yummy!

Karen said...

I have never heard of a Wondermill. I too have trouble getting past the texture of eating Sushi. I should use scissors in the kitchen. I am dangerous with knives.

Anonymous said...

I think we'll be having popcorn for dinner thanks to your recipes!

Anonymous said...

I bought new kitchen shears yesterday. My old ones have been MIA for a while, and the last time I remember using them was to cut garlic chives in my herb garden. Maybe I need an indoor pair and an outdoor pair?

valmg said...

Thanks for playing. Stumbled.

Blair said...

I love tarts, tarts with almond flavors are even better.
YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

If you can make sushi at home it might work out better for you. I love making it fresh because then I can make it with shrimp tempura and roll it all and it's still warm and just melts in the mouth.